Sunday, September 17, 2006

As we get closer, the "to do list" gets longer.

I spent four days on site the end of last week. I had a number of things on the list that needed to be accomplished before the interior finishing could begin and there was going to be "some"outside work. I "thought" I could watch the propane tank placement, water system and final grade work while doing what needed to be done inside.

Wrong.

Thursday started with a botany lesson courtesy of Tim Longsdon. You may remember Tim from posts back in April. Tim is the excavator.

I had noticed that many of the Ponderosa Pines were getting some yellow needles. This is sometimes an indication of pine beetles and the tree will soon completely yellow and die. I brought this up to Tim as we were going through the Thursday gameplan. He looked at me and asked "Pat you been up here in the Fall before?" I said no. He the explained that Pines need to prepare for Winter and the yellow needles are from a "anti-freeze" like chemical entering the tree. Some of the needles yellow and die. So nothing to worry about it was the cycle of life.

The major task for Thursday was to dig holes for the propane tank and water cistern. All-Star Gas was going to deliver and place the 1000 gallon tank at 10:30. The cistern was already on site and Rick's Pump Service was going to hook up the water system to the well and house on Friday.

Tim got started by exposing a side of the well to a depth of 5' so that a "pitless adapter" could be installed. The PA allow the water to come out of the well 5' below ground level so that it won't freeze during the Winter. At that depth the ground stays at roughly 55 degrees year round.


We decided to dig a long trench in which both tanks could be places. There would be two smaller trenches to take the gas line to the back of the house, and the water line to the wing wall by the garage, where the water hook-ups were located. Once this was complete Tim built a ramp for the Gas Guys to use in placing the LP tank.
Ever wonder why they call this the Rockies? These boulders will we used along the road up to the house.

Tim brought up a concern that the water lines from the cistern may be too close to the wing wall and they may freeze up. We decided that I would go to Sonny's and pick up some "blue foam board" to build an insulated tunnel around the lines where they were close to the wall. This became a major digging job "by hand" since we didn't want to chance hitting the lines or the electric service entry cable. By the time it was completed a R-40 tunnel had been built about 12' long around the lines.

During the course of the tank placement I asked Jeremy about how we would know when the tank needed refilling. He showed me the tank gauge, but said that if I forgot the tank has a chemical additive in it that sits at the ~20% level that when reached will give off a smell. He said that if we smell rotten eggs I should hustle out and check the gauge, then give them a call to refill the tank.

When all was said and done, they filled the tank and gave me our first gas bill...$1248.

Once they were out of the way, we set the water cistern. Tim covered up most of the trench, leaving only one end of the cistern open for the next days activities. By this time Laurence the flooring dealer showed up to take final measurements for the work that will start tomorrow (Monday), the installation of the hardwood floors and the tiling in the bathrooms and utility room.
When all was said and done on Thursday the only item completed on my list was the garage door blocking for Monday's install.

BTW the insulation contractor also showed to complete the ceiling insulation blow-in. It was an active site.

Friday started much the way Thursday ended. Wes from Rick's Pump Services showed up and started the water system install.

I tried to accomplish one item from my list by starting the frame out of the fireplace stoop, so that it could be stoned week after next. I didn't get far though because I started watching how the water setup was installed and it became quickly obvious that I had no idea how this worked.

I thought that the well would pump water into the cistern, the cistern water would be pumped by a domestic pump into the pressure tank, then from there into wherever in the house it was needed. There would also be level limiters in the well and cistern so that the pumps would stop when the well was empty and not start at all if the cistern was full.

I noticed quickly, because I am observant, that when the pitless adapter and the well wire for power were installed that there didn't seem to be any water level sensor installation.

So I asked.

Wes explained that the controller, that would be in the utility room, would sense whether there was any water in the well by the power draw of the pump, e.g. when the well is empty the pump can turn more easily and thus does not draw as much power. This is how it would know when to turn the pump off. It would then wait between 4 minutes and 4 hours (I set the interval), then pump the well dry again. Unless the cistern is full, which would stop the cycle.

Again being observant I notice that Wes only took some control boxes and 80- gallon Fiberglas pressure tank into the utility room. I wondered about the pump needed to get the water from the cistern and into the pressure tank.

Again I asked.

Wes patiently explained to me that the pump would actually be in a dry well installed in the cistern. That way there would be no noise in the house from the pumps cycling and it will make servicing very easy. I explained that I had reserved him a whole wall in the utility room for the pumps, controls and pressure tank. He said I could have it back as everything was already in there. Once he had everything buttoned up, the top of the cistern has a screw on manhole cover and what looks like a second well head. The only thing it needs is power and the cistern will start to fill itself.

Did I mention that Bob from Fremont Concrete also showed up on Thursday. Guess I forgot. He came by to measure out the patio and get the concrete color selection for the pour on Wednesday. I picked out salmon because it will match the color of the gravel and rock in the area. I think this could be expensive.

Well Bob also showed up on Friday to dump roadbase that will be use to level the patio area.
The the trim lumber was delivered by BMC. We were close to a traffic lock-up with Tim and his backhoe filling in holes and putting the pre-final grade around the house.

I finally finished the fireplace stoop on Saturday. Marlys, who showed up along with Derek, on Friday evening, got a good start on the finishing the deck sealing. Derek installed the entry door handles and deadbolts and taped windows so that hopefully, we could complete the priming of most of the house interior.

Derek took off for Gunnison later on Saturday, Marlys kept at it with the deck and I had to go to two meeting in the area (Covenant committee, ACPOA Board of Directors). By the time we left at 3:30 on Sunday we were beat. Did I mention that Marlys also had/has a cold and it was cold up there today.

Enough for now.

Next time I will spend more time on the interior work as I hosed up the pictures from this weekend and a picture is worth a thousand works, or in the case of my words that times a thousand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It amazing to me how many services and trades get involved in putting together a house, and I'm sure you will have many more by the time your closer to being done. We had one day in which four of the vendors/contractors we had at the site in one day all had 'Eagle' in their company name.

I think your going to collapse from exhaustion soon, keep up the good work and thanks again for sharing your project on this blog. I wish I had kept a diary of our project to look back on.