Monday, October 09, 2006

I'd be lying, if I said...

I'd be lying, if I said...
...It was just as exciting seeing the build today as it was back in April.
...Every sub has delighted me.
...There have been no problems.
...I enjoyed the drive up every weekend.
...Everything is moving at the rate it should.
...I haven't missed items during the build.
...I didn't think I could do more then I really could.
...I remembered to put batteries in the camera so I could show you some pictures this week.

Except for the additional trim painting on the fasca. The exterior is done. Marlys finished the door painting on Saturday (even on our front door which we finally replaced on Saturday).

The stone work looks great.

The well in now pumping water into the cistern, thanks to the replacement of a fuse.

The telephone line has been buried and the service wired into the house. I could though use some advice on cross connecting the line to the house extensions using a 66 block.

We setup the sawmill on Sunday and rough cut the interior railings. We also squared and jointed a number of them. The mound of sawdust and shavings in front of the barn was impressive.

Mike and Sean painted the kitchen, bathroom, utility and great room, but they couldn't finish due to the humidity (because it was raining). The temperature was in the 40's so the windows were closed. They will finish up those areas next Sunday, then move on to the lower level.

We went through the trim requirements with a new trim carpenter, and will hopefully get him started this week. Although this is the second time a sub has let me down, this one is very disappointing.

The kitchen starts to arrive this week and installation will start at the latest next Monday (knock on wood). This is the critical path in the remaining work.

And it sucks, that after getting up in the middle of the night to watch the Chinese and Japanese F1 races the last two weekends, that Mike Schumacher saw his chance to retire with an 8th championship evaporate due to a engine failure and not racing Alonso. On to Brazil.

And no I don't think the 25 crashed the 48 on purpose. He tried to be the good teammate and got pulled into the draft when he moved to follow Jimmie. It looked like Jr. tried to shut the door and got caught.

I/We are ready for the house to be done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pat, why isn't this project done yet? Sounds like your laying blame on the subcontractors, shouldn't the project manager take the bullet?

You have really done an amazing job of keeping your project on track, part time, remotely and it is looking great. Our contractor took much longer than this with our place. You really need to consider this for a post retirement job.

Don't forget that this place needs to be furnished and decorated when done. That is much more agonizing task as your funds are already depleted and using furniture out of the barn or trailer house doesn't seem like a bad alternative.

Anonymous said...

Ask Bill sometime about how he "trimmed his eyebrows" throwing some wood shavings on the fire....I would suggest an alternate disposal method. You know, I think I installed a 66block during one of the strikes...sorry....don't remember anymore since I'm now a mortgage expert. Hang in there....I think the place looks great...if only there were some updated pictures.....