Thursday, December 07, 2006

We're Done!

What a day.

I called for the CO (final) inspection yesterday morning and I wanted to be there for it today, so Dusty and I hit the road about 5am to get there in time to let me extend the stair handrail (I mentioned this in the last post).

When I got there I checked for the plumbing final sign-off from the day before, and wouldn't you know it, there was none. SO before I could start on the handrail there were a number of hectic calls to Johnny's to see what happened.

Turns out that Gary wanted to see the spec's for the vanity, that has not yet been installed, before giving the approval. Mac from Johnny's had put them with the permit the day before, but Gary had missed them. So after some quick faxing of the spec's to Gary, he assured us that he would sign the permit and just to let Dan know when he got there.

This did not make me feel good about get the CO approval today, and it was critical that I got it today, because I wanted to take it to the Bank by 4pm to close out the construction loan and close on the mortgage. Otherwise it would be another week before I could get up there to do it.

I figured there was not much I could do at this point, but go back to the original plan and get the handrail fixed and wait for Dan.

The handrail took me about an hour to splice together and although the plan is to remove the extension after the CO inspection it turned out pretty good. We will look at it again this weekend and decide if it stays, or if it goes.

After that project I went to the sauna to wire in the heater and realized it was going to need a little more work then I wanted to tackle today.

I moved on to installing the hardware on the kitchen cabinets only to figure out that the screws were too short. The hardware is European standard, (96mm vs 3") so I imagine that the screws will be metric. This may be another adventure in finding longer ones.

About this point I was batting about 250, when Dan showed up. The first placed he looked at was the utility room and what do you know... there is a problem. I need more fire block along the ceiling.

Some of you may remember this as the reason we failed the insulation inspection back in August, but I had fixed it then. Luckily I had some insulation in the barn so while he inspected the rest of the house I quickly added additional fireblock to the utility room.

I finished about the time he did, so he could re-inspect it.

Dan said nice house and gave me the CO approval. Except the actual CO would come in the mail next week and he was going to take the completed Building permit him with for the county records.

At this point I am thinking the closer I get, the farther things seem to move away.

What was I going to take to the Bank?

While I am thinking about this Dan is doing paper work which ended with him handing me a standard inspection report, but on it it said Final Inspection and the "approved" box was checked.

I now took a breath. He said to have the Bank call him if they had any questions.

YAHOO! We legally have another domicile.

I took the Inspection Report to the Bank, and by the way Canon National has been a great place to do business with through this entire build, I highly recommend them. Laurie said the IR was fine and handed me a pile of papers to take home for Marlys and I to sign and send back.

I have to say that the way to close on a house is sitting in you kitchen in "lounging" clothes and having a beer (or wine).

There are still some things to do, but the Pinon Rock House is done!

I am going to write up some lesson learned posts over the next couple of weeks, so look for them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Job and Congrats! Have a Merry Christmas in your newe home!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!! What an exciting journey this has been...much easier, of course, for us to watch from afar, versus you guys working through all the "challenges" every day/week!
Looking forward to our visit this spring...Marlys,I see the "special" wine glass toasted the celebration....get them ready, we'll have more celebration toasts when we visit! Love, Bill & Cathy