Monday, January 22, 2007

Prostate Cancer Anniversary

Yesterday was the two year anniversary of my prostate cancer diagnosis. Other then a slight hiccup last year, everything has gone very well (knock on wood).

It seems so long ago.

I learned my diagnosis on a Friday morning. The weekend was spent becoming an instant expert, so that I could ask questions on the next Monday's session (90 minute) with the Urologist going over the options.

My PCa was caught from a life insurance physical.

It should have been caught from a regular annual physical.

Of course, that's something I never did, even though Marlys had been urging it for a number of years.

I can't stress enough that this is a very treatable form of cancer, if caught early. I would urge you that if you are over 50 years old, a member of a high risk group (African-American, 1st degree blood relative of someone with PCa), to get in and get a PSA test. It is a simple blood test! I now get one every 90 days (for the foreseeable future).

Pat