Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Glulam to Sheetrock Trim

We finally figured out a trim style that worked for the area where the glulams intersect the sheetrocked walls.

We have tried beveled pine strips and quarter round without really being happy with the results. Either the color of the trim wood was too light or the shape didn't not blend well. I think if I was doing this over again I would have had the sheetrockers continue the bullnose edge up over the glulam, but I didn't so here I am.

But it was a beautiful day on Saturday so I spent some time sitting around and taking in the view.

The snow is melting, and another week of this weather should see it gone.

Hard to believe that just a week ago folks were having a had time even making it down Autumn Creek Drive. I even got stuck a couple of times with the truck.

Don't know if it is visible in the picture, but the beer is approriately named "2 Below".

Back to the trim.

What has worked was to replicate the bullnose profile with wood. In order to do this I needed to find pieces that were the same species and color as the glulams. Luckily I grabbed every scrap end of glulam material, during the frame-up, and stored it in the barn during construction, so I had a source.

After sawing to rough size then squaring them up on the jointer, I router an edge with a 1/2" roundover bit. This profile was close but not quite copacetic with the sheetrock bullnose edge, which is probably a 3/4" profile, but the nearest store was a couple of hours roundtrip away. So I did it by hand.

I used a small plane to trim it to match. BTW: I used a small apron plane made by a German company named Rali. The nice thing about this plane is that it has replaceable blades. SO, no sharpening and honing, another thing I am not good at.

Once I had them formed to match and mounted the pieces were finished to match the glulams. I think they look great, but you be the judge.

As you can probably tell some of the items done to finish the house and get the CO, now on second look we are modifying.

No comments: