Monday, July 07, 2008

Got a few things done...and the cistern bandit.

Derek and I were able to get as much done as materials allowed on the rear deck.

If only I had ordered 2 more 16' pieces of TREX and if only I had ordered the rail tops.


We have decided against the pergola I had been thinking of because it seemed to over power the deck and did not balance well with the front deck which is viewable when stand in the driveway, so the deck is now a match to the front.


Marlys cut all 100+ balusters and she is now quite proficient at running the miter saw.


Couple that with the garage painting, now including the floor, and she is getting more capable of doing her own "honey do's".


The garage floor is a nice red tile color and quite glossy, which when stepped on with wet feet can make for an exciting ride.


She also spent a day sanding down our old kitchen table and chairs, to re-finish and put back in to service in the place we are moving to in Parker the end of the month (from the Downtown apartment).


She has a full card this coming weekend in applying poly to the garage glulams and table/chairs.


So, it was pretty busy next time.


Oh ya, the cistern bandit. When we got back up to PR last Monday and I turned on the water, I heard the down stairs toilet running, so I went into the BR and it was...right up to the point it was full, then it stopped.


What gives?


That was my likely suspect.


I went through the house and checked everything now that I had water in system. This was one of my errors from previous in that I would not see any leaks without water in the system.


Everything seemed to be OK, so I gave up and went outside to work on the deck. But something was amiss there.


The back fill around one of the deck footings had settled, as if water had ponded around it.

There was a wet trail from the footing back under the pile of TREX laying on the deck joists.

The trail lead right up to the rear faucet on the house and the ground below it had a water hole dug into it, from it runnin.

So this seems to be the leak. I didn't see it the week before because of the pile of TREX blocking the view of the faucet. I must have rubbed against it when working on the deck and opened it up. So I guess in that regard I have found the colpret and it is me.

No comments: