Sunday, August 24, 2008

We actually saw a Tornado

Folks, after living in Nebraska and Minnesota most of our lives Marlys and I saw our first tornado yesterday.

This was a weekend for tornado's in that one even hit up by Hartsel about 30 miles north of the Pinon house. I had never heard of a tornado in the mountains, but I guess they happen. I don't think anyone was hurt, but as you can imagine there was no warning (no sirens in area), and it tossed around a camp ground.

The one in Parker yesterday afternoon was interesting in that when Marlys spotted it we though it was only a funnel cloud because we only saw the top. Then we noticed the debris at ground level. We watched it for about 5-10minutes before it disipated. At one point we were concerned because it was to out SW and I seemed to remember that tornado's move from SW to NE.

Its hard to see in these pictures, but it is behind the lamp post in the center. It was about two miles away.



No comments: