Monday, February 09, 2009

I finished a couple of things last weekend

I finally got around to finsihing off a couple of projects last weekend. One I am pretty proud of and the other I could have been.


First, my disappointment...the laundry room broom cabinet. The cabinetry part turned out great, especially as it was my first cabinet. The finishing though really stinks. It looks as if a sand through wash type of finish was applied. I really wish I had left is natural with a poly top coat. I think it would have gone well with the natural pine wookwork in the room.

I did get it and the counter surrounding the wine cooler installed (cooler needs to be leveled) and now the second phase of the built-in project begin with the construction of the overhead cabinet.

Another shop project was the building of a step stool for Marlys, who sometimes (most times) cannot reach into the upper cabinets. For this one I used poplar cutoff I had lying around from the cowboy sideboard project. The plans I got out of the Google Sketch-up Warehouse, but I noticed that they are also in this month's Fine Woodworking magazine.

This was a combination of machine and handmade dovetails. And without through my arm out as I pat myself on the back, it is about the best wookworking piece I have made so far.

I tried to get close enough so that you could see some of the joinery, but alas the phone camera is only so good.

Marlys would like this stained the same color as the kitchen cabinets, but I think I talked her into letting me Tung/LBO/Poly it instead.

No comments: