Sunday, February 07, 2010

The Office Comes Together

I know, its been a few weeks since my last post. But in the last few episodes I have talked about the office build out using the excess cedar form the house build back in 2006. The 6x6 timbers say outside beside the shop for a number of years waiting for me to come up with a project for them.
The timbers were sawn into 5"x 1 1/4" pieces on the sawmill back in August and allowed to dry even more in the shop for the last 5-6 months.

Last mentioned here I was edge gluing them into 30" wide slabs and getting them ready for the install. Well I finally got a round to cutting them to fit the office.

I started by setting the height at 26" ( a compromise between Marlys and me, but well within the acceptable work surface height). I used a tool that has come out only a few times...the laser level which worked nicely in running a line around the room. Then I marked the studs using a finder in order to attach the wall brackets.

The rough lengths were pretty good in that they were long enough to allow me to fine tune, but short enough that I could get them into the office without marking the walls and ceiling too badly.

Once on the brackets I could check the angles and shave off (if you could call using a cir saw shaving) the excess. I used biscuits at the joints to make sure the heights aligned and pocket screws on the under side to draw them together. I tried to get the joints as tight as possible by putting a 5 degree back cut on the ends, but there is still enough room to slip a piece of paper into.

Next the surfaces were taken out into the garage for finishing, where we attempted to blow up the house by applying the BLO/tung/poly blend while using a propane open flame heater. This situation was frowned on by the local retired fireman (Bart). I think the fumes had me addled because once he brought it up it was kind of a duh to me.

They have turned out pretty nice. Now it is on to the shelving for the corner area, that and the printer will serve as a hard boundary between Marlys area and mine, since she is a noted sprawler.

No comments: