Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Finally saw a Tarantula

Over the years I have heard about the Tarantulas migrations(?) that happen near Canon City. I have heard them mentioned during the news broadcasts in Denver, and last week in Pueblo, I heard a guy talk about them swarming (probably not the right word) over the Pueblo Community College in Canon City, which he surmised was built in the middle of one of their routes.

In reading about the Tarantula's activity in the area them seem to be mostly in the Arkansas River area. It also seems the this is more of an annual mating ritual then a migration.

Seems that only males are out and about and they are smaller then the females that stay in their burrows. The mating season is from August to November.

Anyway I saw mine on Colorado 9 just before the junction with US 50 by the Royal Gorge. I can't imagine many survive crossing roads as they don't move too fast.

No comments: