Saturday, November 20, 2010

Dresser Chapter 2

The pile of wood is virtually gone and the dresser has moved into a stage where Marlys is getting involved.
The carcase, face frame, top and ends are done. The next step involves making all of the drawers and there will be many (14). So far no mechanical fasteners have been used, only Titebond glue, but I think figure-eights will be used to fasten the top to allow for wood movement.
The drawers will be made individually (i.e. not production mode) to account for any differences (i.e. mistakes) there may be in the build. Of course, since I have done such a great job there are none (ya, you betcha). At least none that I haven't been able to either fix or hide, so far.
The drawers will have dovetailed fronts with plywood sides and bottoms. As I mentioned before they will slide on UHMW tapes in all four corners.
I have been thinking of putting a sign on the stump, where the tree came from being used in the dresser, saying what happened to it. I sometimes wonder when I am walking through the trees and come across a cut stump what happened to the tree.

No comments: