Tuesday, August 01, 2006

It’s really a Balcony.


Let me explain. We have been asked by a number of people why the “deck” in only 4’ wide. The easy answer is that it isn’t a deck, it’s a balcony.

Let me explain the design decision. We wanted to make sure that the view out of the windows would be the best possible.

We didn’t want it cluttered (we didn’t go so far as to spec a glass/Plexiglas railing though) with furniture
.
We didn’t want it to overshadow the patio (which is the main outdoor living space).

We didn’t want a deck with an attached house, which can happen when the deck runs the entire length of the house, as we wanted.

So the alternative was a balcony, suitable for standing and viewing, getting some fresh air, private conversation, etc.

So far it looks like it is balancing the house well, but as Dave has said, "If it was only 4’ wider it would sure make it easier to work on the prow trim". I have to agree. When painting the fascia, while hanging upside down off the edge of the roof, I too wish for the extra width.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pat,

Won't people fall off the deck without a railing?

Are you having fun painting yet?

Looks great, you'll be done in no time now! The winter will be fun time for you to enjoy.

Bill

Pat Caulfield said...

Bill, It's not a DECK. But yes until the BALCONY handrail is done it would be a 10 foot drop.

Anonymous said...

Pat - It looks great. Kyl is just finishing up the railing on our deck, which he chose to rebuild during the hottest summer in 11 years.
Sorry to hear about your neighbor, I can't imagine something like that happening at my age, but in the back of my mind, especially with mom, I know it could happen. My thoughts are with the entire family.

Tara