Monday, September 14, 2009

Doings Last Weekend

Even though there is a full slate of projects, e.g. zero-waste reverse osmosis cabinet, bedroom furniture, etc. The securing of the lights and OSB for what was to be a two part project for winter and next summer has turned into the current work priority, mainly due to the pile of both sitting in the shop.
Labor Day weekend saw the first major push to begin this work and my thinking was that since I was going to cut the 4x8 sheets to 4x6 sheets the weight would drop (52#vs.35#) and I could manage holding them against the ceiling truss' and stringers then screwing them in place...by myself.
My first attempt at this was using the green step ladder (shown in one of the pictures). The ceiling is ten feet high so I was pretty close to the top, balancing the sheet on my head, trying to align it, then getting a screw to stay on the bit and screwing it in.
Believe it or not I actually got a few sheets up using this method, without falling off the ladder or destroying any sheets. But over the course of the four day weekend I only got done what is in the pic to the left.

My next method of work was to utilize the shelving/scaffolding Marlys used in sealing the deck this summer. In this method the sheet was put on the top of the shelving (see same picture as ladder, it is in the background). Then clamps were used to "hang" one end, while I aligned the other, dropped at least a few screws getting them on the driver, while holding the sheet with my head and screwing it to the ceiling. Although this worked better it was still comical and as with the ladder my production lagged.

At the rate I was going to get the 90 sheets installed would take something like 9 months of weekends in birthing the project. And this didn't even include the wiring and installation of the 14 fluorescent fixtures also taking up floorspace.

During this time I had been looking at drywall lifts, as they were the tool of choice for professionals in putting sheet rock on ceilings, even real big sheets (4x12). In researching this option; the day rental looked to be expensive based on the period of time it would be needed. Purchasing one would be in the range of $200, but I don't know where the quality-price point drop off would be, or build one (Fine Homebuilding has plans).

Not being a big borrower of tools (much to Marlys' chagrin), and not really knowing who to ask, a major threshold was crossed when I posted on the ACPOA Forum to see if anyone had one.

Afterward in talking with Herb (see 14er stories) about the dilemma, he called someone he knew and next thing you know a drywall lift was delivered (This is the way to borrow, I didn't even have to go get it.) and set up in the shop.

Saturday was scheduled to start with lending a hand to Herb installing a horse wash bay in his barn (it is a true barn). Then I would try the lift out in the afternoon. But as my luck would have it, Herb got the work done during the week and Saturday looked to be rainy, giving me a choice; get going with the lift or burn the slash pile behind the shop.

Since there are so few days like this the slash pile took precedence.

The pile was gone by 11am and the lift was waiting.
I decided to tackle a wall sheet first. In that regard my plans had taken a different direction based on my lack of production. The original plan was to cut all sheets to 6' lengths to match the bays size of the shop as I did not want to put in faux studs for nailers, when an end didn't land on a post. In looking at the issues of the 6' sheet, namely the number of cuts and sheets that would be needed. I reverted to the full 8' length and installed nailers where needed.

Using the lift to place the sheet whether on the ceiling or wall was too easy. It allowed for movement to align and saved my back. This was a good thing since I think I pulled some muscles in my side balancing a board on a ladder then having the whole thing turn to LS on me.
By the end of the day, yesterday I had just about completed one side of the shop and even installed a shelf.
The biggest chore is moving stuff around to get to a new area. Marlys also has a couple of projects going in the shop. One is still in progress and will need to finish up before a picture is posted, but the other turned out real nice.

This is the step stool built last spring from shop scraps and although the wood is all poplar the sap and heart colors did not match. Marlys grabbed her(actually Derek's) wood burner and really finished the piece.

This weekend we both hope to make some headway with these projects, as fall is definitely in the air and the number of hummingbirds at the feeders are dwindling.

Next time I hope to focus on the cabinetry for the RO water treatment.

No comments: