Monday, September 07, 2009

A Few More Observations from Saturday's Four 14er Day.

  • There did not seem to be any unprepared hikers out on Saturday, which surprised me. Often (every time) when hiking a 14er I seem to run into people; starting way to late, ill prepared in that they have one bottle of water, and/or are in less then sturdy shoes and seem to be out for a walk to the local ice cream shop. I applaud them for getting out, but these mountains should not be taken lightly. Last weekend a 44 year old man from Wyoming died hiking up Quandry.
  • The leaves are turning already. Last weekend we didn't see a hint of yellow in thew aspens. This weekend not only did we see yellow on the way up Kenosha Pass, but around Kite Lake the leaves are in full transition.
  • Do remember the movie "Karate Kid"? There was a scene in the movie where Ralph Macciho is standing on a piling on beach doing a "Preying Mantis" pose ( http://www.imdb.com/media/rm4188380416/tt0087538 ). In this pose his arms were out to his side and while standing on one leg the other was drawn up in front. Keep this picture in your minds eye for a minute. While going up Mt. Democrat we were in a series of steps that were about knee high. Herb was in the lead, and as is my norm, I am focused on the ground ahead of me looking for my next step. Herb comes in to my cone of consciousness and as I look up, what do I see...Herb doing the "Praying Mantis" on the step ahead/above me. I of course was frozen thinking it was a possible touch with fame (Ralph Macchio?), when Herb regains his balance and moves a head. So close to greatness, yet so far.
  • As we were finishing the hike coming off the "Trail of Misery" a number of people were behind us on the trail. We offerred to let them pass a couple of time, but they responded that the pace was nice and they were OK following. Herb was in the lead and as we arrived back at the Kite Lake parking area he turned around and we had a Minnesota moment as he did the hockey post game handshake with each person behind us in our conga line. The last guy's name was Scott and may have been from Nevada who was hiking by himself. Turns out that he and his 4 month pregnant wife had attempted it the day before, but since she was not feeling good half way up they decided to turn around...go figure.
  • Most/many of the conversations during the hike were about food. Herb waxed, almost poetically, on the virtues of lamb burgers and me on the nuances (Yes there are!) of sloppy Joe's.

No comments: