Saturday, March 06, 2010

Golden Mean-Ratio-Section and the Fibonacci Gauge

When I finished the bedroom side tables I noticed that something didn't quite seem right...the drawer pull didn't appear to be the right size for the drawer fronts. I experimented a bit by changing the size, but I kept thinking there had to be a better or more formal way to figure the sizes/proportions for different aspects of a piece of furniture.

Derek had mentioned on occasion when looking at a piece the use of the golden mean formula in sculpture in proportioning pointing to Da Vinci's use of it in his works .

So the search was on for how this formula was used in woodworking. At the time I had just added a blog to my Google Reader list called Design Matters by George Walker. Most of what George writes about in his blog and in Woodworking magazine is way over my head, but his practical method of using the golden mean seemed to led me to finding the tool ( yes there is a new tool involved ) to help in my building projects. My next big one being the dresser for the bedroom ( Read George's post on figuring drawer size).

All of this lead me to the Fibonacci Sequence. In reading about the Fibonacci Sequence I came across a gauge used in design along with golden mean rulers in proportioning called (dramatic pause) a Fibonacci Gauge. Now this could be purchased, but as I searched a number of interesting plans to build one came up. I printed out one of the simpler ones from goldennumber.net .

So I had a plan in hand, now it needed to be built.

As you may recall, I retired earlier this week and most of the time since then has been taken up with consolidating and moving items from the Denver crash pad to Pinon Rock, yesterday was the soonest I spent anytime in the shop, but the objective was to build a modified ski back Adirondack chair...this one would be more of a love seat.

As I sat contemplating what I would need to do to my current templates I was a bit befuddled in how to get started. So I decided I needed a warm up project to get in the right mind...the Fibonacci Gauge.

I used scrap luan plywood and pop rivets for the pivots.

To understand how to use it, I recommend watching this YouTube video.

It only took about 30 minutes to build, but it was a rewarding project, it put me in the right mind.

Which is good since I am left handed.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: